Call for a Free Consultation: 631-923-1910
Select Page

Can I get spousal maintenance?

Spousal support or spousal maintenance, or what used to be called alimony, are payments made by one spouse to the other. Spousal maintenance or support is intended to assist a spouse who, for any number of reasons, does not have the same earning capacity as the other. It is intended either to rehabilitate the lesser income earning spouse so that the spouse can reenter the workforce, or, to maintain the standard of living each spouse was accustomed to during the marriage. Spousal maintenance can be ordered by the Court during the course of the divorce proceedings, called Temporary Spousal Maintenance, to ensure the spouse with no or less income can meet their financial needs. In 2010, New York State passed a law that provides guidelines for the courts to use when determining spousal support amounts.

More information regarding issues surrounding Spousal Support can be found in a number of articles on our blog or use the Search box at the top left of this page and search for Spousal Support. For a free consultation regarding your spousal support, spousal maintenance or alimony needs, please give the Law Office of Robert E. Hornberger a call at 631-923-1910. We’ll be happy to help.

Posted in: Common Financial, Child & Spousal Support Questions