Select Page

How do I start a divorce case?

To initiate your divorce proceedings you will need to visit the Nassau County or Suffolk County Clerk’s Office to file a Summons with Notice or Summons and Verified Complaint. This document states the reasons, or grounds, for the divorce. This document will need to be “served” to your spouse by another person (not you) over the age of 18. More information of filing fees and other requirements are available from the respective County Clerk’s websites.

In Nassau County: http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/Clerk/ClerkServices/vitalrecords.html

In Suffolk County: http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/CountyClerk/CourtActionsandCourtMinutes/SeparationAgreementsDivorceDecrees.aspx

Posted in: Common Divorce & Separation Questions