Select Page

What if I cannot locate my spouse?

In order to initiate a Divorce proceeding in  Long Island, NY, the defendant, your spouse, normally must be personally “served” with a Summons with Notice or Summons and Verified Complaint, a legal document created when you file your legal action. When this is not possible, you can apply for permission from the New York State Supreme Court by filing an Application for Alternate Service in either Nassau County or Suffolk County, wherever you initially filed your Divorce case. These applications will incur additional filing fees and publication charges.

Posted in: Common Divorce & Separation Questions