Select Page

What Happens When Child Support Goes Unpaid on Long Island?

by | May 7, 2019 | child custody and support, Family Law Attorney, Family Law Lawyer, News and Events

If a Long Island court orders you to be paid child support, it must be paid on time and in full according to the order. If you are a recipient of child support and your support has gone unpaid or partially paid, this post will help you understand your rights under New York law and what your next step should be.

Divorce Attorney Consultation

Why Child Support Goes Unpaid

There are many circumstances that can lead to child support going unpaid. While there are a number of parents who purposefully do not pay the support they owe, others simply find themselves without the money. They may have lost their job or got demoted, or they may have gotten ill or injured and were unable to work while incurring hefty medical bills. A payer who has gotten behind on their child support may attempt to reason with the court by maintaining that they were legitimately unable to make the payments.

Does a ‘Good’ Reason Matter?

Like most other states, New York calculates child support owed based on the total monthly income of the payer. It’s important that the payer be able to make their child support payments and still have a livable income. However, when the circumstances shift from the original status quo and there’s a valid reason for child support going unpaid, does that reason matter in the eyes of the law?

It does, but only when the payer has formally requested a modification of support through the Nassau County or Suffolk County Family Court. If the payer experiences an issue that prevents them from making their child support payments on time and in full, such as the loss of a job, the payer must immediately contact the court and inform them of the change. A hearing will then be set to determine if the child support order should indeed be modified.

If the payer does not notify the court and go through the formal child support modification process and does not pay their child support on time or in full, they can face penalties for doing so even if there was a valid reason for lack of payment.

How to Collect Unpaid Child Support

If you’re the recipient of child support that has gone unpaid, your local county Family Court can help enforce your support order in a number of ways, including but not limited to:

  • Wage garnishment. New York courts can garnish regular earned wages.
  • The interception of unemployment benefits. New York courts have the authority to deduct child support owed from unemployment benefits if the payer is receiving them instead of a regular paycheck.
  • The interception of state and/or federal tax return funds. If a payer is owed a state or federal tax return but owes child support, the funds owed may be taken from their return, leaving the payer with the remainder, if any.
  • The seizure of property or assets. If a payer owns property or assets of particular value, those assets may be seized until back child support is paid or the assets may be liquidated to pay the support owed.
  • The submission of delinquent information to credit bureaus. A payer who continues to allow child support to go unpaid or paid late can be reported to credit bureaus in the same way a person who owes money on a credit card. A poor credit score can make it difficult to get a job, be approved for a loan, rent an apartment, buy a house, and more.
  • Passport denial. If a payer is behind on child support, they may not be able to get a new passport or renew their existing passport.
  • The suspension of driving privileges. A payer who owes back child support may have their New York driver’s license suspended.

Contact Our Experienced Long Island Family Law Firm Today for Help with Child Support

If you’re the recipient of child support funds that have gone unpaid, our compassionate and caring family law legal team can help. We will assist you in exploring your options to recover the child support owed to you. Contact our divorce and family law firm today to learn more about unpaid child support laws or to schedule a free child support consultation to discuss your case in detail by calling 631-923-1910.

Call 631-923-1910 or fill in the form below

Schedule your complimentary consultation and case evaluation with our experienced attorneys today. When you call, you’ll speak to our friendly Client Services Director, who will be able to answer your general questions and set up your appointment with an attorney who specializes in your unique case.

At your meeting, your attorney will describe the many options available and determine together which is the right solution for you. By the end of this meeting we’ll all understand how we can best help you to move forward.

No Cost or Obligation

There is no cost or obligation for this initial consultation. It is simply an opportunity for us to get to know each other, answer your questions and learn if Hornberger Verbitsky, P.C. is right the right law firm for you. Give us a call at 631-923-1910 or fill in the short form below to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation.

All Fields Are Required

Divorce Lawyer Attorney Long Island NY Courts Open
Divorce Lawyer Long Island New York



Google Review of divorce longisland
Tammy Granville
Tammy Granville
11:49 04 Jul 21
Everyone was very professional. Never had to call to get an update on my case. Someone always updated me on a regular basis.
Anastasia R
Anastasia R
22:45 17 Dec 20
I went to see Rob for a modification for my child custody agreement to relocate, I can honestly say that working with Rob and Christine has been the best experience. I cannot recommend them enough I only wish I had seen them sooner. They are prompt with communication, and they are honest which I appreciate so much. They do not give you fake promises and they do their best to fight for what you want which they do amazingly well! You can tell they are passionate about what they do and care about their clients. A very important aspect of lawyer client relationship for me is an open line of communication, the anxiety of the unknown always gets the best of us. The fact they were always available whether it be phone call or email to answer any question was extremely comforting and exactly what I needed. I am not well versed with laws and regulation so knowing I had Rob and his partners there when I was unsure or conflicted was extremely needed and greatly appreciated.When it comes to family court it's never easy but having Rob and his partner by my side I felt extremely comfortable and he helped me have realistic expectations. Please TRUST HIM!! If you're looking for a lawyer (at least for my end from child custody/Family Court) don't look any further you will not be disappointed. I hope to never have to use them again but in the event I have to, they are going to be my forever first call.


  • I have known Robert for more than 8 eight years. Robert has represented many of my family and friends. Each and every one has raved about Robert’s professionalism and expertise. He is knowledgable, friendly and truly cares about his clients. I would not hesitate to continue to refer Robert and his firm in the future!
  • I’ve known Robert for most of my life, and feel very fortunate that I have been able to turn to a good friend for various kinds of legal advice. He is very intelligent, straight forward, and professional. Most importantly though, Robert always finds the fastest resolution, and will not waste your time or money. He is NOT in the habit of dragging things through litigation if there is no need for the added expense. I have referred a few of my friends to Robert, and they have all been more than satisfied in their experience with him. Highly recommend!!



divorce questions answered



Long Island Divorce Guide

Fill the form to download Guide

* indicates required


Robert E. Hornberger, Esq., P.C. respects your right to privacy. We will never sell your information to any third party. Follow this link to read our full privacy policy.


Child Support & Spousal Maintenance Tools
Spousal Maintenance Calculator
Child Support Calculator

Pin It on Pinterest