Select Page

What If My Ex Disobeys Our Divorce Decree?

by | Jun 2, 2020 | divorce, News and Events

Once a divorce is finalized, each party is provided a legal document that details the agreements and settlements made between the two spouses during the divorce process. Unfortunately, many people don’t think they need to abide by the divorce decree, leaving their ex-spouses high and dry. What can you do if your ex doesn’t comply with your Long Island divorce decree?

Divorce Attorney Consultation

Is a Divorce Decree a Legally Binding Document?

Yes. A finalized divorce decree issued by a judge to you and your ex-spouse is legally binding. If you or your ex do not abide by all or part of the decree, you may face legal consequences. A decree will typically include all agreements and other provisions, such as your child custody arrangement, visitation schedule, parenting plan, spousal and child support payments, and property division. If you have mediated your divorce, most or all of these issues are ones that you and your ex-spouse have previously agreed upon. Or, if your divorce was contested, these may be issues a judge decided for you.

How Divorce Decrees Can Be Disobeyed

There are many different ways a divorce decree can be disobeyed, all of which can have a significant impact on a family. Here are a few main categories in which the most common violations occur:

Child Custody and Visitation

If you and your ex-spouse share children together, your divorce decree will include provisions for child custody and visitation. It should specify who has primary legal and physical custody and what the agreed-upon visitation schedule looks like. If your ex does not pick your child up on time for their scheduled visitation or does not drop them back off at the appointed time, this is a violation of the divorce decree.

Alimony and Child Support

Your divorce decree may also include provisions for alimony and child support. These must be paid on time, in the amount specified by the decree. If your ex-spouse does not pay court-ordered child or spousal support when it’s due or in the correct amount without first requesting a modification of court orders, this can also be considered a violation of the decree.

Property Division

Property division doesn’t occur immediately after a divorce is finalized — it takes time to sell a home, liquidate assets, and transfer bank accounts. The decree will outline how those things should be done, often down to the last penny. It’s the responsibility of you and your spouse to ensure that assets are divided according to the decree. If your ex-spouse refuses or delays surrendering property or assets that rightly belong to you, they may be held legally responsible for disobeying the divorce decree.

How to Enforce a Divorce Decree

There’s not much that can be done on a personal level to enforce a court-ordered divorce decree or force your ex-spouse to comply on your own. However, when notified of a violation, a court can help enforce the provisions in the document by imposing penalties when a party is not in compliance with the order.

Penalties for Disobeying a Divorce Decree

There are several possible penalties for refusing to comply with a Long Island divorce decree including, but not limited to:

  • Assessing fines
  • Putting a hold or freeze on bank accounts
  • Suspending or revoking a driver’s license
  • Placing a lien on a home, business, or other property
  • Garnishing wages
  • Withholding tax refunds

Often, courts will issue a warning first in an attempt to help the noncompliant party rectify their actions before more serious intervention is needed. If your ex still continues to disobey the divorce decree, a court may decide to take one or more of the above actions.

When to Contact an Experienced Long Island Divorce Lawyer

If your ex-spouse is refusing to comply with your final divorce decree, you have legal options available to you. Whether your ex is withholding property that belongs to you, neglecting to follow the approved visitation schedule, or otherwise not abiding by the provisions in the decree, we can help. Contact our Long Island family law office to learn more about how to enforce a divorce decree or to schedule a free consultation and case evaluation by calling 631-923-1910.

Call 631-923-1910 or fill in the form below

Robert Hornberger and Christine Verbitsky

Get your complimentary consultation and case evaluation with our experienced attorneys today.

Your attorney will describe the many options available and determine together which is the right solution for you. By the end of this  conversation, we’ll all understand how we can best help you to move forward.

No Cost or Obligation

There is no cost or obligation for this initial consultation. It is simply an opportunity for us to get to know each other, answer your questions and learn if Hornberger Verbitsky, P.C. is right the right law firm for you. Give us a call at 631-923-1910 or fill in the short form below for your free consultation and case evaluation.

All Fields Are Required

Divorce Lawyer Long Island New York
Google Review of divorce longisland
Tara Tocci
Tara Tocci
20:59 17 Sep 21
I called to make an appointment for a consultation to discuss a mediated divorce, the office was fantastic with getting me a prompt appointment. When going in all my questions were asked and I left feeling comfortable in my decision to move forward in using the Hornberger/Verbitsky office. Despite a pandemic going on the office still worked diligently to get my papers filed and my divorce complete in a timely manner. Highly recommend!
cristina romero
cristina romero
20:17 17 Sep 21
Hornberger Verbitsky, P.C were phenomenal in every way. Robert was very genuine, patient and professional. Walking in, I had no idea what to expect but he went above and beyond to explain the entire process thoroughly. He guided and informed me of my rights. Patty was amazing, she answered every question I had no matter how many times I called, she was very understanding. I highly recommend Hornberger Verbitsky, P.C. Even if its just for questions on how to navigate this process.
Successful Divorce Strategies Free eBook
divorce questions answered
Child Support & Spousal Maintenance Tools
Spousal Maintenance Calculator
Child Support Calculator

Pin It on Pinterest